Monday, June 15, 2015

Blogging | Not Just for Teachers

I was talking with a colleague about how my classes were going (learning a lot, somewhat overwhelmed) and mentioned how I was to be keeping a blog. As I have explained, I am much better at reading blogs then writing them, so I relayed my hesitation to her. As usual, since she is the colleague I work closest with, it became an enlightening conversation.

She agreed that she wouldn't use a blog as a class website, but did plan to use blogs in her classroom next year - blogs written by her students. I did come across this idea in a couple of the required reading texts, but I'll be honest, the concept didn't jump off of the page. Hearing her explanation, however the passion with which she shared the idea, sold me. 

As a language arts teacher, she felt the blog would be perfect for a place to read, write, and reflect, and I couldn't agree more. I LOVE the idea of students using blogs to work and reflect on their own work. Educational studies show that the most essential parts of learning are reflection and feedback - even more effective than when done by the person who did the work. I cannot WAIT to hear her specific plans and share those ideas with colleagues. 

Is there a time when a conversation with a colleague has changed the trajectory of your teaching?

2 comments:

  1. I love how you added a thought-provoking question at the end of your entry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this question too! I can think of a time when I was just starting out teaching- I was complaining to a team member about some parents. This was well before I had kiddos of my own. She gave me the parents perspective of things and I was really able to be more empathetic to my student's parents and adjust my expectations.

    ReplyDelete